[darcs-devel] [issue1575] accept URIs for ssh repos (eg sftp://droundy at darcs.net:10022/foo/bar)

Dennis Lambe bugs at darcs.net
Thu Aug 26 15:04:28 UTC 2010

Dennis Lambe <dlambe at preferred-mfg.com> added the comment:

> What if we were to introduce a putty-specific URL:
>
> putty://droundy@darcs.net:foo/bar?
>
> Then we wouldn't need to guess at runtime how to call ssh.

I'd suggest putty://droundy@darcs.net/foo/bar (with a slash instead of a
colon separating host from path) in order to make it legal URL syntax.

At the risk of getting off-topic for this bug report, I'd like to
suggest that the SSH syntax be amended to support URL style as well.  My
reason is pragmatic: there's currently no way to describe an ssh
repository on a non-standard port.  You have to remember to set SSH_PORT
before running any darcs commands on that repo (and un-set it when
you're done).  URL syntax would allow something like
ssh://droundy@darcs.net:10022/foo/bar to be used on command lines and
stored in prefs/repos.  The port is, afterall, a property of the remote
repository, not of the local machine or local login session.
--
Dennis Lambe Jr.
Preferred Utilities

"The key to performance is elegance, not battalions of special cases."
--Jon Bentley and Doug McIlroy