[darcs-devel] [issue1669] apply => error applying hunk to file (2.3.1)

Eric Kow bugs at darcs.net
Thu Jan 14 10:48:14 UTC 2010

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> added the comment:

A news update and some clarifications.  News: we now have a workaround to
Zooko's problem.  Just repair the one bad patch that happens to be on the very
top of the stack.

Three clarifications, basically saying to disregard some messages.

- Re msg9779: I somehow managed to find that 'ecdsa: disable ECDSA so that
nobody starts to rely on it (the current version works, but isn't ready for
long-term support)' was the 'earliest' patch based on the corrupted repo.  But I
think I know what my mistake was. The repo had both a corrupt patch and a
corrupt pristine (as if the patch were successfully applied).  My mistake was to
do a darcs get and then a darcs unpull.  Because the darcs get copies the
pristine (for performance reasons), I could unapply the offending patch and only
have the error show up later.

- I believe msg9805 can also be safely ignored due to confusion between the file
content hash and the patch id hash -- see http://wiki.darcs.net/Hashes

- Petr says we can disregard msg9806; just a slight misunderstanding about what
tags are supposed to contain

OK now we're still stuck on the following question: how did this corrupt
patch/pristine come to be?

Where did this extra blank line after 's2 = verifier.serialize()' come from?
It's quite clearly created by something other than Darcs because the line is
non-empty, and it's quite likely a human because the blank line consists of some
whitespace/indentation as you might expect through a text editor.

It seems like somewhere out there, there is a repo where this extra line is
perfectly legit...

I doubt we will be able to come up with any extra steps to reproduce this
(unless Zooko has more ideas), so I guess we'll have to mark this presumed-dead :-(

status: need-action -> presumed-dead