[darcs-devel] [issue1734] ability to revert during record interactive UI

Reinier Lamers bugs at darcs.net
Thu Jan 28 17:09:31 UTC 2010

Reinier Lamers <reinier.lamers at gmail.com> added the comment:

Just let me add that I am strongly against this feature (and all other
of the "I want to X while Y'ing" kind). There's a reason that "darcs
record" is "darcs record" and not "darcs revert". If we build
shortcuts to other darcs commands into the interactive prompts for
commands, that's going to be a huge amount of UI clutter. It also
breaks the property that a record does not change your working copy,
thus making darcs less predictable.

If we really agree that this inability to X while Y'ing is a very
fundamental flaw in darcs, we could redesign the whole UI into an
interactive übershell like Eric proposed, where you go through all the
unrecorded primitive patches and can call any operation upon any one
of them. I'm very skeptical about such a thing, but I'd rather see
that than see record, pull, etc. turning into unprincipled, half-baked
versions of such an übershell.

nosy: +reinier.lamers