[darcs-devel] [issue1762] memory leak in whatsnew --look-for-adds

Kari Hoijarvi bugs at darcs.net
Thu Mar 11 15:49:01 UTC 2010

Kari Hoijarvi <hoijarvi at seas.wustl.edu> added the comment:

One more thing: those half million files were NOT marked boring, they
should have been. They're cached .png images. So there's more stuff in
this update. Please read carefully.

I ran the convert. The format file now contains

hashed
darcs-2

When I run darcs 2.3.1 and 2.4 parallel, in the beginning 2.4 memory
consumption grows slowly like in 2.3.1 or 1.0.9. After a while, 2.4
starts to consume memory very rapidly, until it goes out of memory. In
smaller repositories it actually finishes, so it's not in an infinite
recursion I assume.

The memory consumption for darcs 2.3.1 is also big, 600 MB, and CPU time
excessive: 16 minutes. 1.0.9 is way slower, 350 MB, 35 minutes and still
hasn't finished.

Then I marked .png files as boring. The result is expexted: 2.3.1 uses
only 50 MB of memory and finishes in one minute CPU. 1.0.9 is similar.

BUT: 2.4 still crashes with out of memory. I can understand, that 2.3
didn't store half million filenames and therefore didn't need as much
memory. Even with boring files, that should just be ignored, this happens.