[darcs-devel] [issue1773] smart CGI script for fast darcs get/pull over HTTP

Eric Kow bugs at darcs.net
Sun Mar 21 07:04:57 UTC 2010

New submission from Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>:

We'd like to have some of smart server for Darcs.  When you darcs get
http://example.com/foo the remote end should be intelligent about just
giving you the files you need, and in the optimal number of chunks (no
more zillions of little files).

This could make a good Summer of Code project.

Also it may be a good idea to think about how this fits into darcs
transfer-mode.  Could we aim for some sort of convergence?  Could darcs
transfer-mode offer similar intelligence over SSH?  Could the script
just be darcs transfer-mode --http?

Petr: I didn't understand everything in the conversation (during the
2010-03 sprint Friday lunch).  Do you think you could jot down a few
more details on how we'd like the design for this to work?  I dimly
recall some debate about how to arrange things so that it's all very
easy to debug, eg. with curl/wget

assignedto: mornfall
messages: 10345
nosy: darcs-devel, dmitry.kurochkin, kowey, mornfall
priority: feature
status: need-action
title: smart CGI script for fast darcs get/pull over HTTP
topic: HTTP, Performance