[darcs-devel] [issue1773] smart CGI script for fast darcs get/pull over HTTP

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Sun Mar 21 21:56:42 UTC 2010

On 3/21/2010 3:04, Eric Kow wrote:

> New submission from Eric Kow<kowey at darcs.net>:
>
> We'd like to have some of smart server for Darcs.  When you darcs get
> http://example.com/foo the remote end should be intelligent about just
> giving you the files you need, and in the optimal number of chunks (no
> more zillions of little files).
>
> This could make a good Summer of Code project.
>
> Also it may be a good idea to think about how this fits into darcs
> transfer-mode.  Could we aim for some sort of convergence?  Could darcs
> transfer-mode offer similar intelligence over SSH?  Could the script
> just be darcs transfer-mode --http?

I'm -1 on this. I really like David's preference to optimize for the
"dumb file transfer" case rather than focusing on building ad hoc
"intelligent protocols". For instance, I think the work on snapshots
and/or packs is a better utilization of time/resources for darcs,
because it can benefit numerous file transfer mechanisms all at the same
time, rather than requiring specialized hosting mechanisms.

Currently, for instance, I use an Amazon S3 bucket to host my
repositories for public consumption. This is very cheap, particularly
for repos of mine that don't change much, and obviously nearly as dumb
as file hosting can get. However, thanks to how "dumb" S3 is, it is a)
very cheap, and b) nearly as well optimized as cloud-based file hosting
can get. (Plus, it's only a few steps to further optimize my bucket by
making it available via a CDN, and thus nearing the fastest and greatest
availability file hosting currently available on the internet, should I
need that and be willing to pay for it...)

Running a "smart darcs service" on one of my virtual servers requires
resources that could be devoted to more critical web hosting
needs/services, and I lose the availability and reliability I have with
my current "dumb" hosting arrangement.

It's certainly just my few cents of opinion on the topic, but I do think
that snapshots and/or packs (and/or --no-working-directory, etc...) are
better utilization of darcs development resources (even/especially GSoC)
than "smart protocols".

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net