[darcs-devel] [issue1787] backwards-compatible alternative to Ignore-this for mandatory patch metadata

Eric Kow bugs at darcs.net
Mon Mar 22 16:07:41 UTC 2010

New submission from Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>:

This comes up from time to time.  It may be useful to have a good well
thought out format for adding mandatory metadata to patches.

In the interests of medium-term backwards compatibility (ie. until Darcs
3), we would need to cram this into the patch long comment a la
Ignore-this.  But could we have some better thinking on the Ignore-this
itself, and more importantly about the stuff that goes behind it?

Requires discussion and a drive towards some sort of consensus

Related bugs:

 - issue1613 talks about an annotation scheme for *optional* information
 - issue1096 requests some sort of patch format mechanism to make Darcs
more future-proof wrt future patch formats

nosy: WorldMaker, dagit, darcs-devel, dmitry.kurochkin, kowey
priority: feature
status: need-action
title: backwards-compatible alternative to Ignore-this for mandatory patch metadata