[darcs-devel] [issue1968] There was an attempt to write an invalid pending!

Eric Kow bugs at darcs.net
Fri Nov 12 16:40:16 UTC 2010

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> added the comment:

Hi Jeroen,

Sorry my late reply (I went on holiday but failed to arrange for
somebody to take over the customer service + triage end of issue
management).

On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 21:47:45 +0000, Jeroen Vrijkorte wrote:
> I probably did something stupid (trying to move my source files into a
> 'src' directory), but it might be worth a bug report anyway.

> My input:
>
> darcs move . src

Sounds like a very plausible thing to want to do.

Were you able to get unstuck?

It should be a matter of deleting the buggy pending file and
(importantly) the _darcs/index file that goes with it.  If you omitted
the last step, it may be a good idea to run a darcs check now, just to
be safe.

> darcs: bug at src/Darcs/Repository/Internal.hs:339 compiled Oct  2 2010
> 10:07:31
> There was an attempt to write an invalid pending!
> If possible, please send the contents of _darcs/patches/pending_buggy
> along with a bug report.
> See http://wiki.darcs.net/BugTracker/Reporting for help on bug reporting.
>
> Please find attached the pending_buggy file.
>
> My darcs version is 2.4.4 (release).

Next action required: create a minimal test case.

Jeroen: if you'd like to take part in the darcs development process a
bit more, this is something I think you may be able to do fairly easily.
Don't feel obliged!  http://wiki.darcs.net/Development/RegressionTests
I just like to farm this out to users as much as possible in the hopes
of saving time, and one day hooking somebody and getting a developer out
of it.

For the interested, I can reproduce this with a minimal repository.
In HEAD darcs, it says

darcs: Bug in descent in modifyTree.

Regardless of what meaning (if any) we should attach to darcs move . foo,
this sort of thing is not what we want.  So many thanks to Jeroen for
reporting this corner case to us!