[darcs-devel] [patch477] Label --set-default note as a HINT. (and 2 more)

Eric Kow bugs at darcs.net
Mon Nov 22 12:06:30 UTC 2010

New submission from Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>:

3 patches for repository http://darcs.net/screened:

Thu Nov 18 16:36:34 GMT 2010  Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
  * Label --set-default note as a HINT.

  The goal is to uniformly mark all non-essential "helpful" prompts
  in a recognisable way.  The underlying message is "relax!"

Thu Nov 18 17:14:46 GMT 2010  Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
  * Label the unreachable repository note as a HINT.

Mon Nov 22 11:56:35 GMT 2010  Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
  * Friendlier _darcs/inventory HINT message.
  The idea is to focus on concrete actions or expectations, no internals!

Now self-screened, with Petr's and Florent feedback (for which,
thanks and thanks!) into account.

Combined with Dmitry's work, we now get:
$ darcs get http://example.com/not-a-repo

darcs failed:  Not a repository: http://example.com/not-a-repo (HTTP response code said error 404)

HINT: Do you have the right URI for the repository?

      If so, check with the repository owner to see if the following files
      are readable:

        1. _darcs/format    - might not exist; that's OK
        2. _darcs/inventory - should exist if #1 is missing
        3. _darcs/hashed_inventory - should exist if #2 is missing

Still some more room for improvement, but I bet it can go in a followup

files: label-__set_default-note-as-a-hint_.dpatch, unnamed
messages: 13211
nosy: kowey
status: needs-screening
title: Label --set-default note as a HINT. (and 2 more)