[darcs-devel] [patch470] Label --set-default note as a HINT. (and 2 more)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon Nov 22 13:21:26 UTC 2010

Whoops, I forgot to set subject on my follow-up which became patch477

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 21:12:45 +0100, Petr Rockai wrote:
> This looks pretty nice, *but*: what does "It's OK if they just don't
> exist" mean? It's obviously *not* OK, since the thing didn't work
> right...

Whoops! Early draft detritus

> Also: it's nice that the HINT is pretty, but the error above it is
> horrible. It's unreadable, redundant and long. So I'd propose:
>
> ERROR: Not a repository: /tmp/chxsarchsae.
>        Error opening _darcs/inventory: No such file or directory.

To be continued in patch477

> We have been hiding from the exception reporting code for way too
> long... Fixing our error reports would account for a huge leap in
> usability, IMHO. (Cf. the confusing and ugly "could not find file"
> errors.)

You'll get a big +1 from me on that

> Also, your hint text seems to be misleading, since the exception is
> about inventory, and your text made me believe that if inventory does
> not exist, the last attempt is at hashed_inventory. From the exception,
> this doesn't seem to be the case. (But I could be mistaken.)

I think it's acceptable to stray from implementation detail.

> > This email has been scanned by MessageLabs' Email Security
> > System on behalf of the University of Brighton.
> > For more information see http://www.brighton.ac.uk/is/spam/
> Gosh! You should tell your university how wrong this is. : - )

Hah, if only they'd listen.  I don't blame them for focusing on
the need for for 22,000 Windows users not to get phished, instead
of the desire for one nerd to have his messages tampered with.
MessageLabs is normally clever enough to detect that it shouldn't
mess with signed or encrypted messages though (except when it isn't)