[darcs-devel] [issue1952] reconsider searching from issue text instead of title

Rogan Creswick bugs at darcs.net
Wed Sep 8 16:55:04 UTC 2010

Rogan Creswick <creswick at gmail.com> added the comment:

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 2:32 AM, Eric Kow <bugs at darcs.net> wrote:

> Personally, I've trained myself to just "search" by using the search UI,
> plugging in a topic and looking for bugs marked not-resolved.  So that's
> probably a bad sign in that I probably have unconsciously absorbed the
> search field as being useless too.
>
> What could be helpful (need-action) is for us to come up with search
> "test cases"

Going straight to a ticket based on the issue number seems like one
reasonable use case.  I've become a fan of how trac handles this -- a
number prefixed by a # is treated as a specific ticket id look-up, not
a search.

The current behavior was particularly frustrating because, aside from
not finding anything for my search (which was an issue number), the
results list displayed one link -- a csv file containing the results
(nothing).  My reaction was to just click on the link in the results
list (I was expecting exactly one result, since I was under the
assumption that I had supplied sufficient information to unambiguously
specify a singular bug).  Now I have an empty csv file somewhere,
which isn't a problem per-say, but It also didn't help me find the bug
:).  Anyhow, it would be nice if no csv file was created for empty
result lists, but that may be a separate bug.

As an aside, I haven't been all that impressed with google-based
site-specific search engines.  It's very rare that the right
information is displayed in a search result snippet, particularly for
things like bug trackers.  Perhaps the results display can be
configured suitably, but I have yet to see an implementation that does
so.

--Rogan