[darcs-devel] [issue1357] wish: "chunky" representation for hunks

Eric Kow bugs at darcs.net
Sat Apr 2 09:21:37 UTC 2011

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> added the comment:

OK, I just had a bit of a discussion with this on Petr,
http://irclog.perlgeek.de/darcs/2011-04-02#i_3448192

Basically following the list in msg10037

1. Would be pointless/stupid without doing #2 or #3
2. Is doable (think of how hashed relates to old-fashioned), but you
have to do work to prove that commutation is invariant under the hunk
conversion), which is almost as much work as #3 for the team.  Perhaps
it would be less work for users, but as a matter of principle, we want
to resist format changes unless we really need them
3. Involves new patch types, but is ultimately easier than #2 according
to Petr.  The current URL is
http://www.mornfall.net/blog/patch_formats.html
4. Is basically orthogonal to #3.  We could do both or neither, or some
combination in between.  See issue2055

*SO* Unless somebody comes in and argues that #2 actually makes sense
without doing #3, I say that Petr's notion of chunky hunks is the
definitive one.  If anybody disagrees with this view, they should bring
it up. Phew!