[darcs-devel] [patch590] Friendlier exceptions when a file does n... (and 1 more)

Eric Kow bugs at darcs.net
Thu Apr 7 17:28:27 UTC 2011

New submission from Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>:

A bit of procrasti-hacking (I wish I did procrasti-reviewing instead of
procrasti-hacking, but the latter is easier since I keep working on these
ProbablyEasy UI-level things)

2 patches for repository http://darcs.net/screened:

The first patch fixes the case of darcs get /tmp/blahblahblah

Before:
  $ darcs get /tmp/blahblahblah
  darcs failed:  Not a repository: /tmp/blahblahblah (/tmp/blahblahblah/_darcs/inventory: openBinaryFile: does not exist (No such file or directory))
After:
  darcs failed:  Not a repository: /tmp/blahblahblah (/tmp/blahblahblah/_darcs/inventory does not exist)

As for the second patch,

Before:
  $ darcs add apt/apt.conf.d/10apt-listbugs.distrib, you now get
  darcs: apt/apt.conf.d/10apt-listbugs.distrib: getSymbolicLinkStatus: does not exist (No such file or directory)

After:
  File apt does not exist!
  File apt/apt.conf.d does not exist!
  File apt/apt.conf.d/10apt-listbugs.distrib does not exist!

This output is friendlier, but it's also a bit stupid (hence me not screening
the patch). I suppose what we should do is collect the names of files, turn it
into tree and only emit the error message on leaves of the tree.

Thu Apr  7 15:28:47 BST 2011  Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
  * Friendlier exceptions when a file does not exist.

Thu Apr  7 18:10:49 BST 2011  Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
  * Resolve issue1804: friendlier message when adding missing files.

  Instead of
    darcs: foo: getSymbolicLinkStatus: does not exist (No such file or directory)
  We now have
    File foo does not exist!

files: friendlier-exceptions-when-a-file-does-not-exist_.dpatch, unnamed, unnamed
messages: 13916
nosy: kowey
status: needs-screening
title: Friendlier exceptions when a file does n... (and 1 more)