[darcs-devel] [issue2044] darcs send should do optimize --reorder

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Thu Feb 17 22:16:15 UTC 2011

On 02/17/11 09:38, Eric Kow wrote:

> Eric Kow<kowey at darcs.net>  added the comment:
>
> My only concerns would be if darcs optimize --reorder takes a long time,
> or if the person was doing darcs send from a public repository (this may
> be a bit far-fetched, maybe imagine some hypothetical future darcsden
> with some kind of send button?).
>
> Basically trying to see if this should lead to any surprise.  The sort
> of rough goal I'm aiming for is a sense of transparency, in the sense
> that actions should not have any unexpected side-effects, that things
> seem to happen for a reason (X because I did Y).  Hmm, I wish I could
> think a bit more systematically about this...

First I thought, on send, ask user: "reorder first? [yn]" with
explanation.  Of course that's a terrible idea.

Is reorder interruptible?  Start doing the reorder in the background and
tell the user "if you're bored, type X and we'll send a bigger patch
bundle, but you won't have to wait for it".  Where "X" is probably along
the lines of y/n or ctrl-C (a la darcs get with ctrl-C-->lazy repo).

That doesn't address the "public repo" or other effects of "You should
not run --reorder-patches on a repository from which someone may be
simultaneously pulling or getting, as this could lead to repository
corruption."  If we have no way of addressing that, we really can't run
reorder silently :-/

-Isaac