[darcs-devel] [issue2044] darcs send should do optimize --reorder

Guillaume Hoffmann bugs at darcs.net
Mon Feb 21 12:45:32 UTC 2011

Guillaume Hoffmann <guillaumh at gmail.com> added the comment:

So reordering at the moment of "darcs send" causes two problems:

1) creating race conditions if people get or pull at the same time.
2) taking a long time when running "send", making the command look
broken/weird from the user point of view.

I think 1) is not a problem: you usually don't send from a public,
central repository. The race condition problem can already happen when
you run optimize in a repository. I think it's good to know the race
problem can happen, but it's not a blocker, IMHO.

2) seems more important. "optimize --reorder" can easily take 30s on a
repo of reasonable size, while it is usually almost instant between
local repositories.

Something that can be done now:
* update the help of "darcs send" to tell users they can run "optimize
--reorder" to reduce the size of bundle contexts.
* also update the FAQ on the wiki

A more global issue is: can we maintain inventories (eg, when we pull a
tag) in an efficient way so that they are usually efficiently ordered?
Who know more about this? I think galbolle told me he knew about this,
I'm adding him as nosy on this issue.

nosy: +galbolle