[darcs-devel] [patch530] Ignoring applyToWorking return value is ... (and 1 more)

Gabriel Kerneis bugs at darcs.net
Tue Jan 18 10:31:57 UTC 2011

New submission from Gabriel Kerneis <kerneis at pps.jussieu.fr>:

Hi,

these two trivial patches silence two GHC warnings.

The first warning is triggered by applyToWorking's return value being
ignored in:

  Fri Jan 14 16:44:49 CET 2011  Florent Becker <florent.becker at ens-lyon.org>
    * add a --no-record option to rollback

I reviewed applyToWorking and it is definitely safe to ignore its return
value.  Actually, this return value is used in a single place in Darcs
code, in MarkConflicts.lhs, and it is an exact copy of one of the
parameters, but with a different type witness.  I considered changing
applyToWorking to return IO() instead and tweak MarkConflicts.lhs, but
since I do not understand very well this type witnesses stuff, I left it
as is, and only removed comments introduced by issue1988.

The second warning is Packs and NoPacks being redundant since they have
been removed by:

  Mon Nov 22 12:17:02 CET 2010  Alexey Levan <exlevan at gmail.com>
    * Use getBoolFlag to check for a packs flag

I added a manual dependency to this patch.

Best regards,

Gabriel "warning killer" Kerneis

2 patches for repository http://darcs.net/screened:

Tue Jan 18 10:36:54 CET 2011  Gabriel Kerneis <kerneis at pps.jussieu.fr>
  * Ignoring applyToWorking return value is safe

  See issue1988.

Tue Jan 18 11:02:41 CET 2011  Gabriel Kerneis <kerneis at pps.jussieu.fr>
  * Remove redundant Packs and NoPacks

files: ignoring-applytoworking-return-value-is-safe.dpatch, unnamed, unnamed
messages: 13519
nosy: kerneis
status: needs-review
title: Ignoring applyToWorking return value is ... (and 1 more)