[darcs-devel] Duplicated code in Darcs

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Thu Jan 20 13:14:24 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 14:08:24 +0000, Iago Abal wrote:
> Duplication to ensure separate evolution? I never heard about that! Do you
> mean "I duplicate because I have fear to break things I don't understand"?

Duplication for freezing might be one case, not sure if it's the only
one I had in mind, memory is fuzzy.

OldDate was introduced because I once submitted a reasonable-looking
clean up patch to IsoDate that broke backwards compatibility.  At that
point, David introduced OldDate to ensure that date parsing and
generation (?) always worked the same way no matter what. Frozen.
I was never really too happy about the freeze (because I was pretty
sure that there was still some English-date-related fluff in there that
was never actually used), but I couldn't be 100% sure about it, so I
figured David was probably wise about it.

That said, in the duplication-for-freezing stage, I suppose the new code
could always call the frozen code wherever possible to avoid some
duplication.