[darcs-devel] [issue2091] push from Linux to Windows: MoveFileEx "_darcs/index" "_darcs/index.old": permission denied (2.5.2)

David-Sarah Hopwood bugs at darcs.net
Tue Jul 26 02:11:33 UTC 2011

David-Sarah Hopwood <david-sarah at jacaranda.org> added the comment:

I'm having a similar problem to issue2019, also involving VirtualBox
shared folders. When a Windows XP SP3 *guest* has a darcs repository on
a drive that is mapped to a Shared Folder (in this case to a filesystem
on the Linux host), then many operations that write to the repository
(such as 'darcs pull', but not all such operations, e.g. not the initial
'get') fail with an error like:

darcs: _darcs/tentative_hashed_inventory: hClose: invalid argument
(Invalid argument)

The path is not always '_darcs/tentative_hashed_inventory', but the rest
of the error is always the same.

When the same files are copied to a normal Windows drive on the guest,
the same operations work correctly. (This indicates that the files
weren't corrupted, it was just the access that failed on the shared folder.)

Note that although issue2019 was closed as a duplicate of this issue,
I'm not sure there was enough evidence to come to that conclusion. I
agree it is *plausible* that the same bug might affect both network
drives and VirtualBox shared folders, since both use the IFS driver
interface I think, albeit different drivers. However, the error messages
are quite different: issue1759 looks like a file is locked by another
process, whereas the message in issue2091 doesn't say anything about
that. Also, issue2091 seems to happen for all repositories, and deleting
_darcs/index makes no difference. So I think that these bugs should be
unduplicated unless and until there is more evidence that they are the same.

This is with the 2.5.2 Windows release of darcs, and VirtualBox
3.2.8_OSE r64453 on an Ubuntu 10.10 host.