[darcs-devel] [issue2091] darcs put => _darcs/index: mmap of '_darcs/index' failed: invalid argument(VirtualBox shared folders) (2.5.2)

Petr Ročkai bugs at darcs.net
Tue Jul 26 09:44:22 UTC 2011

Petr Ročkai <me at mornfall.net> added the comment:

Well, the problem is that virtualbox shared folders are a pretty bad
implementation of an already bad filesystem interface. I don't think we
can do anything about this: memory-mapping drives on virtualbox shared
folders simply does not work. The only alternative is to read the index
into memory with "read". Since virtualbox shares is about the only
filesystem with any non-negligible amount of use that fails to support
memory mapping, there isn't enough pressure to implement alternative
index reading code just for this single case. I believe even standard
network shares on windows do work (there may be other bugs, but memory
mapping should be OK).