[darcs-devel] HEADS UP! screened/reviewed changeover

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun May 8 17:39:01 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 08, 2011 at 19:07:00 +0200, Radoslav Dorcik wrote:
> seems to be very clear. I assume my picture drawing [1] is right.

I think this looks right.  Note the "hello, anybody home?" rule? (that's
my informal stupid name for the new change where Core Team members can
push their own patches to reviewed after a delay.  Not ideal, but helps
us get unstuck)

The bit about the release process may be a bit confusing: presumably we
don't create a new branch for each patch, and also if cherry picking
works, we of course can just push the patch directly to the maintained
branch

> Is this process valid for all types of the patches ?

The Release Manager may end up pushing some patches directly to the
release branch

> I mean for bug corrections and small features it works but what about
> big features like rebase ? Isn't risk to put that big patches into
> screened and immediately produce conflict with patches in roundup not
> yet screened.

I think big features like rebase will probably have been discussed
quite a bit before winding up in screened.

I think this issue can be avoided with a general culture that frowns on
"power plant" patches, gigantic changes that nobody can hope to review.
Of course, some work is just inherently huge (eg rebase), but this is
probably where we just have a lot of prior discussion to mitigate the
power-plantiness.