[darcs-devel] [issue2005] the result of ``darcs changes --from-tag X --count`` depends on ``darcs optimize --reorder``...

Florent Becker bugs at darcs.net
Thu May 26 16:34:03 UTC 2011

Florent Becker <florent.becker at ens-lyon.org> added the comment:

This is to be expected: "darcs changes --from-tag X" does the same thing
as darcs changes --from-patch "TAG X", which is consistent with the
"TAGs as patches" conception we have.

The problem is that the user does not want to see the same thing with
--from-patch and --from-tag. You would not want --from-patch X to give
you all the patches that X does not depend upon, but that's what you
want --from-tag to do. Also, if we change the meaning of "changes
--from-tag X --count" as you want, either it won't return the right
value for use with --index and friends (which is an invariant we may or
may not want to keep), or it will make changes not read-only (gasp!).

So we can:
- make --from-tag and --from-patch "TAG X" differ
- make tags be a different in all of the UI
- live with 'darcs changes --from-tag X' having the least-intuitive semantic

Note that you can find the number you want from:
darcs unpull --dry --match 'not (name TAG X)' --no-deps | grep '*' | wc -l
(this means that --dry-run should allow --count and other darcs changes
options)

nosy: +galbolle, kowey
priority:  -> feature
topic: +UI