[darcs-devel] random rebase feedback

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Fri Aug 3 17:22:37 UTC 2012

Just some general notes on this for future reference:

On 03/08/2012 12:36, Eric Kow wrote:
> More random rebase feedback:
>
> One thing I found difficult (and this may be true of Darcs in
> general) is that Darcs will tell you it can't suspend/unsuspend
> something without reverting changes to working first.

suspend uses the same rules as obliterate, namely that any unrecorded
changes that depend on the patch being obliterate/suspended block it.

unsuspend currently bans any local changes, which is a conservative
choice intended to make it harder to get a real mess in your local
repo if there are any conflicts on unsuspend. It could probably be relaxed.

> Is there anything we can do to help this?  One thing that could
> maybe help is for Darcs to say what files are affected, and to
> offer some suggestions like “try unrecording patches that affect
> that file and then suspending”?

I think printing out the list of files would be fairly easy to do
and quite sensible. I'm not sure that unrecording is the right get out
though, my gut inclination would be to record and then suspend the newly
recorded changes too.

Ganesh