[darcs-devel] [issue2140] darcs list tags should provide a way to uniquely identify tags or don't show duplicates at all

Adam Wolk bugs at darcs.net
Thu Feb 9 22:05:11 UTC 2012

New submission from Adam Wolk <netprobe at gmail.com>:

Scenario:
1. mkdir test
2. cd test
3. darcs init
4. touch file
5. darcs add file
6. darcs record...
7. darcs tag v1.0
8. more changes and records
9. darcs tag v1.0
10. darcs list tags

Problems:
As a new user I don't know which tag is which and having the duplicates listed is no benefit for me.
If the tagging was a mistake (a user created a duplicate tag by accident) I have no information from this
command that would help in obliterating the buggy tag or allowing me to go back to a specific tag from the
list.
If it's intended to create duplicates in order to have a 'moving' tag then listing all the duplicates does
not provided any information needed by the developer as he is always working with the latest tag.

Expected:
I expect one of two possible solutions:
1. Don't display duplicates by default or just display a count of duplicates
2. Display an unique identifier (hash) of the tag next to it's name if duplicates exist.

nosy: mulander
status: unknown
title: darcs list tags should provide a way to uniquely identify tags or don't show duplicates at all