[darcs-devel] darcs style

Owen Stephens darcs at owenstephens.co.uk
Mon Jan 23 12:59:07 UTC 2012

I think the idea of tidying up the code-base is great.
I've made tiny inroads myself in some patches, and will continue to do so,
as I
think Will is correct, the code-base is stylistically a real mess.

On 23 January 2012 12:44, Iago Abal <iago.abal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 4:12 AM, Will Langstroth <will at langstroth.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Wondering if you're accepting "janitorial" patches. If you've seen Johan
>> Tibell's Haskell Style Guide<https://github.com/tibbe/haskell-style-guide/blob/master/haskell-style.md>,
>> and it seems reasonable, I'd be happy to have a go at making darcs stick to
>> that one style (or one comparable) for easier reading. I'm just getting
>> into the code, and the existing style is eclectic enough to be distracting.
>>
> Your intentions are good, but I don't think Darcs is going to stick to a
> particular coding style. Most likely you will make an effort but Darcs
> developers will continue coding in their particular style, so (ideally) you
> will end submitting patches regularly fixing the coding style.

Why not? Johan's style suggestions seem sensible, there is no style guide
for
Darcs currently, so no wonder everyone code differently.
Line wrapping, indentation and import lists are particularly varied - but I
use
a 80-char terminal, so I may be biased towards the importance of wrapping...

> In base of my previous experience you are going to fail convincing Darcs
> people to follow a concrete coding style. But lets try, perhaps you will
> succeed -- good luck!

Things having happened in the past doesn't necessarily preclude them from
happening in the future!

Owen.