[darcs-devel] [patch704] replace copyright message with module doc

Will Langstroth will at langstroth.com
Wed Jan 25 05:17:17 UTC 2012

> 2) Licensees know who to ask for additional permissions on *parts* of
>   the program.  (Eg, one might add new features to a regexp library
>   licensed under BSD, and GPL that derived file.  The authors can
>   often agree on releasing the regexp improvements, and only those,
>   under BSD.)
>
> My personal opinion is that the latter is a very important use case,
> important enough to override my VCS's convenience.  I hope you will
> agree. :-)

In spirit, yes. The reason I like to put people's names up there is because
they're the original authors. They deserve the adulation or annoyance of
their peers. As far as permissions and libraries ... hey man, I'm just here
for the code.

> You misunderstand the meaning of "Program";

That would not surprise me.

> it applies (1) to any
> fragment explicitly licensed under the GPL,

This part, I got.

> and (2) to any legally
> distributed derivative of such a fragment that does not fall under the
> "mere aggregation" exception, explicit exclusion by owner, etc.  Such
> derivatives include aggregate works with "expressive editorial
> content" (that's not a legal term), as well as works that explicitly
> require each other such as different modules of a computer program.

So we're agreed. I misunderstand the meaning of "program".

> Even if they are not linked with the GPLed files,
> but set is distributed as a unit, usage of the GPLed files clearly
> depends on the others, or vice versa, and there are no non-GPL
> substitutes for for the GPLed programs in the group, then the
> (textually) unrelated files may very well fall under the GPL.

Part of the reason why I like the BSD3 is that after I read it, I don't
feel disoriented or like I've fallen under the GPL a couple of times while
flossing.

So ... the above leads me to believe that the briefest mention of the GPL
imparts its dark powers to a file, and thus Haddock headers are a
reasonable substitute for the full nine yards. Yes?