[darcs-devel] how can Darcs dev be more agile ?

Michael Hendricks michael at ndrix.org
Fri May 11 02:51:10 UTC 2012

My experience so far agrees with Simon's.  I think our process is too heavy
for the small number of active developers.  Ideally, I'd like to see a
process with almost as few barriers as Wikipedia (at least on the front
side).   Here are some suggestions that have been on my mind for a while:

   - eliminate the issue tracker
   - rename "screened" to "public".  Any "darcs send" patches that compile
   (pass tests?) are automatically committed here.  public is subject to being
   wiped out and replaced with a fresh copy of reviewed as often as we deem
   necessary
   - code review
      - if a patch needs no further work, a core developer pulls it
      directly from public into reviewed
      - if a patch needs minor polish, he commits a fix to public and pulls
      into reviewed
      - if a patch needs more polish/reviewing, a core developer forks
      reviewed making a topic branch to which anyone can commit. he pushes
      relevant patches from public to this topic branch. he might push a patch
      containing TODO comments with his code review suggestions. when
the branch
      is polished, it's pulled into reviewed
   - define "core developer" as anyone whose patch makes it to the reviewed
   repository (darcs show authors)
   - host darcs.net website directly off content in reviewed

Much of this assumes infrastructure which doesn't exist.  It'd be cool if
we could use darcsden for some of these steps.  We currently have a focus
on improving darcs hosting.  Eating our own dog food should help with that.

--
Michael