[darcs-devel] [issue2266] darcs get with patch argument fails on Mac OSX: bad error message

Robert Goldman bugs at darcs.net
Mon Nov 5 14:51:31 UTC 2012

New submission from Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info>:

1. Summarise the issue (what were doing, what went wrong?)

I tried to roll back to a previous version of my repository per
instructions in the FAQ.  The operation failed, with a cryptic error
message, destroying my working copy in the process.

Also not sure why darcs was trying to create a new subdirectory of the
working copy, instead of doing rollback in place as I expected from
reading the FAQ.

Error message:
darcs get --to-match 'exact "reverse attempt to get project-members into
html"' .
Directory '/Users/rpg/lisp/cl-json/cl-json' already exists, creating
repository as '/Users/rpg/lisp/cl-json/cl-json_0'

Warning: CRC errors found. These are probably harmless but should be
repaired.
See 'darcs gzcrcs --help' for more information.

darcs: _darcs/tentative_pristine: openBinaryFile: does not exist (No
such file or directory)

2. What behaviour were you expecting instead?

Rollback to an earlier state of the repository.

3. What darcs version are you using? (Try: darcs --exact-version)

darcs compiled on Oct 31 2010, at 14:40:05

Context:

[TAG 2.5
Reinier Lamers <tux_rocker at reinier.de>**20101024151805
 Ignore-this: 1561ce30bfb1950a440c03371e0e2f20
]

Compiled with:

HTTP-4000.0.8
array-0.3.0.1
base-4.2.0.2
bytestring-0.9.1.7
containers-0.3.0.0
directory-1.0.1.1
extensible-exceptions-0.1.1.1
filepath-1.1.0.4
hashed-storage-0.5.2
haskeline-0.6.2.2
html-1.0.1.2
mmap-0.5.6
mtl-1.1.0.2
network-2.2.1.5
old-time-1.0.0.5
parsec-2.1.0.1
process-1.0.1.3
random-1.0.0.2
regex-compat-0.93.1
tar-0.3.1.0
terminfo-0.3.1.2
text-0.7.2.1
unix-2.4.0.2
zlib-0.5.2.0
HUnit-1.2.2.1
QuickCheck-2.1.1.1
test-framework-0.3.2
test-framework-hunit-0.2.6
test-framework-quickcheck2-0.2.7

4. What operating system are you running?

Mac OSX: 10.7.5 (Lion)

nosy: rpg
status: unknown
title: darcs get with patch argument fails on Mac OSX: bad error message