[darcs-devel] [issue2266] darcs get with patch argument fails on Mac OSX: bad error message

Owen Stephens bugs at darcs.net
Tue Nov 6 15:00:05 UTC 2012

Owen Stephens <o.a.stephens at gmail.com> added the comment:

On 06/11/12 at 02:39pm, Robert Goldman wrote:
> Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> added the comment:
>
> I had cl-json_0 (which really wasn't what I wanted --- the loading
> instructions have a symlink to the location of the working copy --- I
> expected a rollback in place).

What are "the loading instructions"? I'm not sure what you mean here.

cl-json_0 would be created when you did a `darcs get` in the repository, when a
file/directory named cl-json already existed (did you try the get multiple
times?).

> But somehow all the other files were gone.
>
> They came back when I did a darcs get

This doesn't make sense - darcs get would create a new repo, not pull in
changes/files to an existing repo... Or do you mean that you were able to
recover your files by re-getting the repo?

> I also note that I now have this structure
>
> cl-json/ <-- working directory
>   ...the files that should be there...
>   cl-json/ <-- I don't know what this is
>     _darcs <-- not sure how this got there

The first cl-json is the original working dir. The cl-json sub-directory is
likely created by a darcs get.

What differences do you see in the output of `darcs whatsnew` and `darcs
changes` if you set your cwd as the two cl-json folders in turn?

> Yes.  BTW, I am now using 2.8 instead of 2.5.  Much of this oddness
> happened when I tried to do the darcs get under 2.5.

Ok, that's good, it means things are probably better in 2.8. Would you mind
clarifying what the behaviours are in 2.5 and 2.8, and what, if any, issues
remain in 2.8.

> It seems possible to me that the 2.5 which I got when I was running Mac
> OSX 10.6.x was not happy on 10.7.x  I wouldn't know how to confirm or
> disconfirm this.

I can't think of anything that should cause this to be the case.

> It's open source software and has no private information in it.  If
> you'd like, I could probably tar it up and push it onto the bug tracker.
>  Let me know if that's what I should do.

Yes, that'd be good. Can you create a tar of the repo in a state of being
broken/destroyed, and upload it to the bug tracker? A list of which commands
you ran could probably help too - the trimmed output of history, would be fine.

Cheers,

--
Owen.

title: darcs get with patch argument fails on Mac OSX: bad error message -> darcs get with patch argument fails on Mac OSX: bad error	message