[darcs-devel] [issue2266] darcs get with patch argument fails on Mac OSX: bad error message

Owen Stephens bugs at darcs.net
Thu Nov 8 01:34:31 UTC 2012

Owen Stephens <darcs at owenstephens.co.uk> added the comment:

Just a quick note to say that what you probably want is to use `darcs
obliterate -o obliterated_patches.dpatch` since you want to be able to roll
forwards" again. That command will create a .dpatch file, which can be
re-applied using `darcs apply obliterated_patches.dpatch`, so that you don't
irrevocably delete your patches before testing.

I recently created a `git stash` recipe for darcs, here
http://pastebin.com/J04Hw2uB, which may be of some use...

> I was able to recover my files by doing "darcs get" in what had been my
> working directory.

I'm still not certain how this worked... `darcs get FOO` will always
create a
new subdirectory FOO in the cwd! What exact command did you run?

>> Yes.  BTW, I am now using 2.8 instead of 2.5.  Much of this oddness
>> happened when I tried to do the darcs get under 2.5.
>
> Ok, that's good, it means things are probably better in 2.8. Would you
mind
> clarifying what the behaviours are in 2.5 and 2.8, and what, if any,
issues
> remain in 2.8.

Yeah, that's ok. I was just trying to clarify what "much of this oddness"
meant.

Oh, and I've just looked at your repo you sent. It's using an old
repo-format,
which I'm sure is going to be a cause of these issues. It would be wise
to have
a look at http://darcs.net/OF and consider running `darcs optimize
--upgrade`
if everyone who accesses the repo is using darcs > 2.4.