[darcs-devel] [issue2258] darcs optimize --patch-index reports: "darcs: error: patch index entry for file ./foo.html created >1 times."

Mark Stosberg bugs at darcs.net
Thu Oct 18 17:32:54 UTC 2012

New submission from Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com>:

1. Summarise the issue (what were doing, what went wrong?)

I ran:

darcs optimize --patch-index

The result was:
darcs: error: patch index entry for file ./foo.html created >1 times.

2. What behaviour were you expecting instead?

I expected it to succeed.

3. What darcs version are you using? (Try: darcs --exact-version)

2.9.5 (+ 153 patches)

4. What operating system are you running?

Ubuntu 10.04.

####

I looked up the history for that file. Incredibly, darcs shows the file
being added twice, with no "remove" in between that I can see. The first
time was in 2004, possibly pre darcs-1.0. I don't understand how darcs
could have allowed that.

But, since apparently can actually happen, it would be nice if --patch-
index could deal with it. :)

Perhaps it can "warn" and tell me there's a problem with the file, and
the history for it will be incomplete... or just have no index for that
file in particular?

I would really like to use Patch Index on this particular repo, so
workarounds are also welcome.

nosy: markstos
priority: bug
status: unknown
title: darcs optimize --patch-index reports: "darcs: error: patch index entry for file ./foo.html created >1 times."
topic: PatchIndex