[darcs-devel] [patch929] Remove redundant Module field from modul... (and 11 more)

Eric Kow bugs at darcs.net
Sun Sep 2 20:02:22 UTC 2012

New submission from Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>:

I'm not screening these in case I'm going about things in a stupid way, but
feel free to screen if the enterprise makes sense to you.

I'm mostly just sending it to guard a bit against me getting bored and
wandering off (ie. if it should happen then at least we have the patches
on tracker).

Basically this is more of the idea that we should maybe push all the
user-facing messages out from the commands code and into a separate
Darcs.UI.Message hierarchy.

Another change is the idea that the big blob of help text that gets
shared by the manual and the on-darcs help should not be a Haskell
string, but a Markdown document, which we then preprocess into a Haskell
string.  That should hopefully make the manual a bit easier to maintain.

A bigger picture change donw the line would be to move all the doc stuff
to Markdown, maybe switch to Pandoc/Hakyll instead of latex2html, maybe
start to do that thing where we put the docs ond the wiki, and
periodically bless wiki changes as official doc changes.

12 patches for repository http://darcs.net:

Sun Aug 26 15:41:45 BST 2012  Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
  * Remove redundant Module field from module haddocks.

Sat Sep  1 21:54:17 BST 2012  Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
  * Infrastructure to convert markdown files in doc to long help text.

  The aim is to make the documentation easier to maintain by putting it
  all in one place, using one format.  This change brings us closer to
  the idea of documentation being in its own tree apart from the source
  code while still avoiding some duplication between the manual and the
  online help text.

Sat Sep  1 21:56:10 BST 2012  Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
  * Break up Setup.lhs a bit with banners.

Sun Sep  2 19:10:58 BST 2012  Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
  * Make cabal-dev directory boring.

Sun Sep  2 19:34:59 BST 2012  Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
  * Use Printer.Doc in prompts.

  This allows us to get closer to converge user messages to Doc.

Sun Sep  2 19:35:50 BST 2012  Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
  * Reindent and slightly tidy Darcs.UI.Commands.Send.

Sun Sep  2 19:35:50 BST 2012  Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
  * Move darcs send help block to doc dir.

Sun Sep  2 19:35:50 BST 2012  Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
  * Move darcs whatsnew messages to doc and Darcs.UI.Message.WhatsNew.

Sun Sep  2 19:36:00 BST 2012  Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
  * Move darcs revert messages to doc and Darcs.UI.Message.Revert.

Sun Sep  2 19:37:22 BST 2012  Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
  * Style/Tidy Darcs.UI.Commands.Revert.

Sun Sep  2 19:37:32 BST 2012  Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
  * Move (amend-)record messages to doc and Darcs.UI.Message.

Sun Sep  2 20:54:10 BST 2012  Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
  * Move darcs add messages to doc and Darcs.UI.Message.

files: patch-preview.txt, remove-redundant-module-field-from-module-haddocks_.dpatch, unnamed
messages: 16051
nosy: kowey
status: needs-screening
title: Remove redundant Module field from modul... (and 11 more)