[darcs-devel] [patch942] Resolve issue2236: Make n a synonym for q in lastQues...

Eric Kow bugs at darcs.net
Fri Sep 21 06:28:47 UTC 2012

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> added the comment:

Owen, when you were asking about d/q, did you mean in the context
of this last regrets prompt?

d/q are useful because they do something different in the patch selection
prompt; they allow you to terminate early

So my thinking behind the alternative approach (which should not get in
the way of Dave just following up with his intention to make an alias) is
that by offering *only* d/q we do two things:

1. we prevent people blazing through the last regrets prompt by accident
(a bit similar to how we sometimes make people type "yes")

2. we train people to use d/q, which I think cuts some of the too-many-prompts
frustration.

I guess 2 is a bit dubious though; there's no evidence to suggest that people
who take the last-prompt d/q and generalise it to patch selection usage.

Also it comes at a very heavy price of people not generally knowing what
they're supposed to do.

--
Eric Kow <http://erickow.com>