[darcs-devel] [issue2338] fix darcs dependencies with regards to Haskell Platform at time of release

José Neder jlneder at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 07:03:28 UTC 2013

You could use the benchmarks on
http://hub.darcs.net/jlneder/darcs-patience-benchmarks, specifically
use genDiff.sh to get the diff samples and compile and run
CriterionBenchmarks.hs.
My run:
http://hub.darcs.net/jlneder/darcs-patience-benchmarks/raw/CriterionBenchmarks.html
This are the runs from Guilaume:
http://hub.darcs.net/gh/bench/raw/crit2.html
http://hub.darcs.net/gh/bench/raw/crit2b.html

2013/8/20 Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li>:
> The hashable dependency is fine, it's just having a dependency that
> clashes with the Haskell Platform version that's problematic.
>
> In general I would like for us to use well-maintained external code
> (i.e. hashable) instead of our own internal code, but it obviously does
> depend on the specifics of the situation.
>
> If hashPS actually does perform better then we should feed that back to
> the maintainers of hashable.
>
> Do you have an easily reproducible benchmark that shows the difference
> in speed on your machine and Guillaume's? If not, could you provide one?
> Might be useful to gather a wider sample.
>
> On 20/08/2013 01:02, José Neder wrote:
>> There is not an specific need for hashable 1.2. It should work
>> perfectly with any version since 1.0.0. But there is not a specific
>> need even for hashable at all, in my test it runs better than the
>> implementation of hashPS in Darcs.Util.ByteString, so this is why i
>> added it, but is cumbersome to add a dependency, hashPS could be used
>> instead of Data.Hashable.hash and avoid this dependency.
>> I saw that Guillaume get another results in his machine(in his machine
>> hashPS performs better), so maybe is better to use hashPS? i assume it
>> depends heavily on the cpu in which it runs.
>>
>> 2013/8/19 Ganesh Sittampalam <bugs at darcs.net>:
>>>
>>> Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li> added the comment:
>>>
>>> For the containers dependency, patience diff is using Data.Map.Strict
>>> from containers 0.5. I have a patch ready to go that embeds the source
>>> for that module+dependencies inside darcs, under the namespace