[darcs-devel] [issue2284] darcs changes --repo http://darcs.net --last 1 tries to build patch index

Guillaume Hoffmann bugs at darcs.net
Fri Feb 15 16:42:39 UTC 2013

Guillaume Hoffmann <guillaumh at gmail.com> added the comment:

A couple of remarks:

1) also happens with a ssh remote repository
2) will probably happen also with any local read-only repository

Two options:

a) Make Darcs.Repository.FileMod.createPIWithInterrupt check if the
given Repository has an url that is an HTTP or SSH url, and do nothing
in that case. It will be correct but only catch case 1).

b) Modify Darcs.Repository.Job.withRepositoryDirectory so that it no
longer tries to build the patch index. withRepositoryDirectory is only
used by two commands: changes and show tags. These commands are read-
only. Shall we restrict automatic patch index creation to the commands
that work on writeable repositories? This would solve a) and b).

I think it's a good thing to have automatic patch index creation only
with commands that actually write inside a repository, then you have a
guarantee that you can actually create it.

nosy: +bsrkaditya, kowey