[darcs-devel] splitting and merging patches

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Wed Mar 13 22:33:47 UTC 2013

Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
> On 11/03/2013 22:09, Sebastian Fischer wrote:
>> factis research would like to be able to split and merge patches that
>> other patches depend on. To explain why is a bit complicated so I have
>> put a motivating dialog online: https://gist.github.com/sebfisch/5136973
>>
>> Would you be willing to include split and/or merge commands into Darcs
>> if I implement them? Are there better ways to achieve the desired
>> effect? Can rebase be used for this?
>
> I've only got a bit of time tonight, but will try to respond in more
> detail in the next couple of days.

I am looking forward to that!

> The short answer (from my point of view) is we should either have these
> commands, or have a nice easy way to do this with other commands; and
> yes I think rebase can be used for this, or at least it would be the
> foundation for doing this.

I agree; "split" largely overlaps with what I proposed recently under the
name "dissolving a patch".

> As a another starting point, are you already aware of amend-unrecord?

I was not aware of amend-unrecord; nice addition. If I do 'darcs help amend-
unrecord' I get a detailed explanation of the alias, but it's not in the
manual (the manual does mention the --unrecord option to amend-record).

Cheers
Ben
--
Ben Franksen