[darcs-devel] [patch1083] name change Lcs.hs -> Diff/Myers.hs (and 2 more)

Guillaume Hoffmann bugs at darcs.net
Thu Oct 10 15:06:48 UTC 2013

Guillaume Hoffmann <guillaumh at gmail.com> added the comment:

I'm going to accept it along with http://bugs.darcs.net/patch1103 which
fixes a bug that has been discovered by a few users and
http://bugs.darcs.net/patch1098.

As far as I can tell patience diff works well with an acceptable
performance slowdown (see http://bugs.darcs.net/issue2338 , in some
cases there is a 2x slowdown of diffing 6000 lines big files in Ganesh's
benchmarks, from 30 to 60 ms).

Testing could be better. We do have one unit test that checks coalescing
with patience diff, and a shell test introduced by
http://bugs.darcs.net/patch1103. Moreover all shell tests are run with
both diff algorithms.

A few things to think about:

* it would be still nice to have a systematic way of testing correctness
of diff algorithms.
* ...and a systematic way of testing performance of diff algorithms
*within* the repository of darcs (cabal bench maybe)
* Darcs.Diff should probably eventually be spun off as a separate library
* whether patience diff should be default is still open (with this
bundle, it is the current default). I like the examples of
http://blog.jlneder.com.ar/2013/07/patience-diff-algorithm-benefits-for.html
, but I can imagine that some people may argue that proposing less hunks
is not always desirable.

So, I'm pushing the whole thing to reviewed.

status: needs-review -> accepted