[darcs-devel] [issue2381] Cannot darcs mv file to file that did exist but has been removed in working

Owen Stephens bugs at darcs.net
Tue Apr 22 11:32:15 UTC 2014

New submission from Owen Stephens <darcs at owenstephens.co.uk>:

1. Summarise the issue (what were doing, what went wrong?)

I tried to delete a file from my repo, and rename another to the same
name as the deleted file. Darcs complained that the target of the rename
already exists in the repo, even though it doesn't in the working dir.

2. What behaviour were you expecting instead?

Darcs should allow me to rename the file! I should also be able to use
revert to get back to exactly where I was (both files existing and with
the correct contents)

Assuming file foo contains one line: "foostuff" and other contains one
line: "otherstuff", I would like to see something like this in whatsnew,
after executing `rm foo && darcs mv other foo`:

    hunk ./foo 1
    -foostuff
    rmfile ./foo
    move ./other ./foo

Note that the move cannot be commuted past the rmfile!

3. What darcs version are you using? (Try: darcs --exact-version)

2.9.8 (+ 18 patches)

4. What operating system are you running?

Ubuntu 13.10 X86_64

nosy: owst
status: unknown
title: Cannot darcs mv file to file that did exist but has been removed in working