[darcs-devel] [issue2356] darcs refuses to edit files in subdirectory named 'data'

Evan Laforge bugs at darcs.net
Sat Feb 8 21:55:07 UTC 2014

Evan Laforge <qdunkan at gmail.com> added the comment:

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 1:04 PM, Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> wrote:
> Hmm
>
> So we have evidence of patches from some distant past that refer to Data.
>
> And we have your repository in its current state with data.
>
> What I'm wondering about now is how we got from Data to data.
>
> If you do a darcs get, is it 'data' you see and not 'Data'?
> I'm puzzled about why you don't see patches that refer to 'data'

I see 'data'.

> Maybe a useful thing might be to darcs changes --summary | less and
> search for \./data

I do see the 'data' patches as expected.  I can work around the
problem by making a branch and recording changes to 'data' on that.  I
can even continue to use the original branch by pulling the patch
over.

It behaves as if the confusion happens only at the UI level.  The
actual patches are not confused.

> (BTW, I'm bound to confuse myself here with the case-insensitive-ish
> filesystem, this weirdness about being able to remember case (which is
> nice) but look up filenames in a case-insensitive way)

Indeed, I'm pretty sure this is what is triggering the bug in darcs.