[darcs-devel] [patch1167] resolve issue2394: make optimize a supercommand

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Tue Jun 3 22:20:36 UTC 2014

Guillaume Hoffmann wrote:
> Guillaume Hoffmann <guillaumh at gmail.com> added the comment:
>
> Filled a few missing help strings for subcommands.
>
> 2 patches for repository http://darcs.net:
>
> Tue Jun  3 16:16:24 ART 2014  Guillaume Hoffmann <guillaumh at gmail.com>
>   * adapt testsuite to new optimize supercommand
>
> Tue Jun  3 17:12:07 ART 2014  Guillaume Hoffmann <guillaumh at gmail.com>
>   * resolve issue2394: make optimize a supercommand

Wait, wait, wait!

I should have replied immediately but I was so busy...

Please re-consider this choice of turning optimize into a supercommand.

I know, I brought it up myself, but I now that I studied the optimize
command in more detail, I disagree. This makes everything much more
complicated, when we need simplification, foremost! Optimize is perfectly
fine with all its actions realized as options. For instance

  optimize --clean --upgrade --disable-patch-index

should do all three actions. Think of an implicit "and" in between the
selected actions.

This is much better because

(1) it takes a lot less code to implement

(2) the user can do several optimizations in one go

I am perfectly fine with scrapping the default action, this was obscure
anyway (what did it do, exactly? not documented). If the user specifies no
action, we can display a message:

"No optimizations selected, doing nothing."

Cheers & sorry again that I am late to the party ;-)
Ben
--
"Make it so they have to reboot after every typo." -- Scott Adams