[darcs-devel] [issue1416] put log files in tempdir instead of in working dir

Guillaume Hoffmann bugs at darcs.net
Thu Mar 27 04:53:46 UTC 2014

Guillaume Hoffmann <guillaumh at gmail.com> added the comment:

About bucketting: I don't get where the figure of 100 temporary files
per command comes from (Ale's comment). The files created with
worldReadableTemp are either the long comment descriptions (for commands
record, amend, tag) or the patch bundle mail message (for send). They
remain if the command does not end properly (failing test, misconfigured
sendmail, CTRL+C...). So that's a maximum of 1 file per command
execution.  Bucketting would be overkill.

Also I think the first two comments of this thread should be taken with
a grain of salt.  First, we are not talking about backup files but files
*needed* to let you use a third party text editor to edit the long
comment of a patch or the body of a mail to send a patch bundle.

And second, many of the files of the 2nd comment (msg7581) are *not* the
files we are talking about. All the ones ending with .~n~ were extra
backups made by some text editor; then darcs.cabal-darcs-backup0 is the
result of applying a conflicting patch (this file should be now named
darcs.cabal.~1~ since http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1812 was fixed).
Finally darcs9599-new_3c63... comes from another place (getting?
pulling?) and should be investigated separately.

Here is an excerpt from the help of hg commit:

   If no commit message is specified, Mercurial starts your
   configured editor where you can enter a message. In case your
   commit fails, you will find a backup of your message in
   ``.hg/last-message.txt``.