[darcs-devel] [issue1416] put log files in tempdir instead of in working dir

Eric Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 06:41:15 UTC 2014

Great dissection, very useful reminder that users don't care about the
subte conceptual distinctions (one should they have to); they just see the
symptom and go bleh. It's up to us to tease thins apart like Guillaume did

Comments inline

On Thursday, 27 March 2014, Guillaume Hoffmann <bugs at darcs.net> wrote:

> About bucketting: I don't get where the figure of 100 temporary files
> per command comes from (Ale's comment). The files created with
> worldReadableTemp are either the long comment descriptions (for commands
> record, amend, tag) or the patch bundle mail message (for send). They
> remain if the command does not end properly (failing test, misconfigured
> sendmail, CTRL+C...). So that's a maximum of 1 file per command
> execution.  Bucketting would be overkill.

Perhaps worthwhile to just try the simplest thing. If you want to bucket,
bucket with ISO dates, but simpler would be a good start

One motivation maybe is that temp files can build up over multiple
executions of darcs if the user does not delete them

> Finally darcs9599-new_3c63... comes from another place (getting?
> pulling?) and should be investigated separately.

This is where I see the most clutter

> Here is an excerpt from the help of hg commit:
>
>    If no commit message is specified, Mercurial starts your
>    configured editor where you can enter a message. In case your
>    commit fails, you will find a backup of your message in
>    ``.hg/last-message.txt``.

Sort of thing that should only happen after a failure

--
Eric Kow <http://erickow.com>