[darcs-devel] [issue1416] put log files in tempdir instead of in working dir

Guillaume Hoffmann bugs at darcs.net
Thu Mar 27 20:56:42 UTC 2014

Guillaume Hoffmann <guillaumh at gmail.com> added the comment:

>> Here is an excerpt from the help of hg commit:
>>
>>    If no commit message is specified, Mercurial starts your
>>    configured editor where you can enter a message. In case your
>>    commit fails, you will find a backup of your message in
>>    ``.hg/last-message.txt``.
>

> Sort of thing that should only happen after a failure

Maybe. Mercurial leaves it there all the time. In fact, it first edits
some random-named file in /tmp/ then copies it to
.hg/last-message.txt.

Git, on the other hand, directly edits (and always leaves) the file
.git/COMMIT_EDITMSG .

> Perhaps worthwhile to just try the simplest thing. If you want to bucket,
> bucket with ISO dates, but simpler would be a good start

Simpler is what we have, with increasing numbers :-)

Even simpler is (like hg or git) overwriting the same file over and over,

> One motivation maybe is that temp files can build up over multiple
> executions of darcs if the user does not delete them

A point for overwriting a single file.

(In fact I'm feeling currently more inclined towards that solution.)

I've created a new ticket for them: http://bugs.darcs.net/issue2362