[darcs-devel] [issue2395] log --[no-]only-to-files neither makes sense nor does anything

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Thu May 29 13:14:48 UTC 2014

New submission from Ben Franksen <benjamin.franksen at helmholtz-berlin.de>:

I guess I just don't understand how it is properly used. That would mean
it needs better documentation or maybe a change of name.

1. Summarise the issue (what were doing, what went wrong?)

What is the use case for saying

  darcs log README --no-only-to-files

and not just plain

  darcs log

? I mean, I can just give it no filenames when I want all the patches,
right? And if I give it filenames, well I don't need to say that
explicitly by giving the --only-to-files option.

And it doesn't even work: darcs log shows only the patches related to
the given file(s) even with --no-only-to-files.

2. What behaviour were you expecting instead?

Well, darcs behaves exactly as I would expect, only it has this
apparently useless option pair that doesn't do anything.

Or rather, I guess it does something (the code looks as if it does), but
from the outside I can't figure out what that might be.

3. What darcs version are you using? (Try: darcs --exact-version)

2.8.4 or later

nosy: bf
status: unknown
title: log --[no-]only-to-files neither makes sense nor does anything