[darcs-devel] missing put command

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Sun Nov 9 23:11:16 UTC 2014

It seems the current head of Darcs no longer has the put command. It must
have been so for quite a while since I missed any discussion about the
removal.

I am missing it. I know it was inefficient but I still used it often enough
and I quite liked the symmetry with 'darcs get'. Typical usage example: I
start with a project at home, hack away, record a few patches, then use
'darcs put' to upload it to my machine at work before I go to sleep. Simple
and easy and the inefficiency is not a problem in this scenario. Now I have
to use scp or rsync, then use darcs pull or push with --set-default. Or log
in to the remote machine, darcs init there, leave it, then use darcs push --
set-default. It is not world-shattering that I have to do this in two or
three steps now, instead of one, it's just that I don't like to loose
convenience ;-)

Can someone do me the favor and summarize the rationale for its removal?

Cheers
Ben
--
"Make it so they have to reboot after every typo." -- Scott Adams