[darcs-devel] [patch1289] purify Darcs.UI.Defaults, fixing two problems on the way

Ganesh Sittampalam bugs at darcs.net
Tue Jun 9 17:52:13 UTC 2015

I've looked at the purify Darcs.UI.Defaults patch and it makes sense to
me, though I didn't understand every detail.

I'm not so sure about replacing 'fail': while having 'fail' in the Monad
class along with the implicit desugaring of pattern-match failure is
definitely bad, having a standard method for failure is useful. I'm not
sure if the replacement implementation complicates error catching, e.g.
when using darcs as a library. It's probably ok as calling exit does
throw an ExitException so it is still possible.

Anyway, it seems like there are plans afoot to move 'fail' out to its
own class, so it probably doesn't hurt to be isolated from it for the
time being.

Sorry I didn't manage to look at this any sooner. I guess it still may
make sense for 2.10 - Guillaume can decide on that.

nosy: +gh
status: needs-review -> accepted-pending-tests