[darcs-devel] [patch1267] changed the argument order of PatchSet and backward operators

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Sun Jun 14 17:20:05 UTC 2015

Ben Franksen <benjamin.franksen at helmholtz-berlin.de> added the comment:

I think we agree that the syntactic order should always indicate
application order, i.e.

  a :: A x y, b :: B y z
  ----------------------
  a `op` b :: C x z

with suitable A, B, and C. This is what my order reversal patch started
and what eliminating :< finishes (I think). So far so good.

Now what to do about the naming?

I am unsure what you mean with "where the context is" and why you think
this is relevant.

My idea was to interpret the < and > symbols to indicate where the
"small" and the "large" thing is (a list is a large thing, a single
element a small one). When using ordered pairs (the :> operator) there
is no small or large side: one can have a single patch or a sequence on
either side. So the symbols < and > don't feel right to me.

I am not wedded to :- (I agree that sometimes it looks weird, especially
with _ on the RHS i.e. p :- _). We could as well use :|: or :* (the
latter is often used for product, so that might give people an intuition).