[darcs-devel] [issue2456] hackage issue please update hackage darcs.cabal

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Tue Jun 16 22:17:17 UTC 2015

Ben Franksen <benjamin.franksen at helmholtz-berlin.de> added the comment:

I like Ganesh's idea. It's been a while since I read the cabal
documentation and the two 'this' and 'head' source repos are nice.

So we'd have a 'head' entry that doesn't change between releases (not
even between release branches) and thus could be added on the main branch.

Then there is 'this' repo entry. I think the solution with the least
maintenance overhead is to have this entry only in release branches and
not in the development branches. Then we set up apply pre-hooks in these
branches that check if the patch to be applied is a tag and if yes that
the tag inside the cabal file is identical, otherwise refuses to apply.
This should be enough to avoid silly mistakes when making a release.