[darcs-devel] [patch1375] removed special handling of --to-match from cloneRepos...

Ben Franksen bugs at darcs.net
Mon Jun 22 07:24:18 UTC 2015

New submission from Ben Franksen <benjamin.franksen at helmholtz-berlin.de>:

I guess the code I deleted here is cruft left over from adding the "packs"
feature. This should be carefully reviewed and tested a bit more to see if
there are unwanted side effects. (I don't expect any, just being careful.)

TODO: Verify that the special handling this patch removes is not faster when
using 'darcs clone --to-match' with a remote repo that has not been
optimized to provide packs (using darcs optimize http).

1 patch for repository http://darcs.net/screened:

patch f9c60286ae4e03f4fbab473ced211eec370a1ce0
Author: Ben Franksen <benjamin.franksen at helmholtz-berlin.de>
Date:   Mon Jun 22 00:04:21 CEST 2015
  * removed special handling of --to-match from cloneRepository

  I made lots of tests and found
  (a) no difference in the resulting repos
  (b) the method chosen with toMatch=False is always much faster, (more than
      twice as fast, in fact) regardless of whether the repo is local or
      remote
  (c) --to-patch was not handled when passing the toMatch parameter, causing
      the slower variant to be chosen /only/ for --to-match

files: patch-preview.txt, removed-special-handling-of-__to_match-from-clonerepository.dpatch, unnamed
messages: 18591
nosy: bf
status: needs-screening
title: removed special handling of --to-match from cloneRepos...