[darcs-devel] [patch1366] added a test to show that show files is ... (and 6 more)

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Mon Jun 22 22:35:36 UTC 2015

Guillaume Hoffmann wrote:
> Guillaume Hoffmann <guillaumh at gmail.com> added the comment:
> The three test patches could be just a single one, with a single test
> script instead of two.  And the renaming of that shell test should occur
> in the patch that fix the bug. I think it's cleaner like that.

Yes it's cleaner and I will try to do so in the future. The reason I avoided
bundling (e.g. test renaming with bug fix) is that it makes the patches
commute better. I usually have many patches in my repo that are not yet
ready for sending out (work in progress, sometimes things I started that
stalled for some reason) and therefore need my patches to commute well. I
also amend patches often, mostly to re-write the comment or to apply some
final polishing of the code.

I have tried to work with feature or bug fix branches. The problem is that
(1) they tend to bit-rot pretty soon and (2) out of the way is out of the
mind. Having them all in one branch lets me not forget them (darcs send --
dry-run is something I do regularly). Also, since the darcs that I use is
the same as the one I am working on, this gives me some sort of permanent
testing of those (experimental) patches.

As you may have noticed I tend to be productive in short but intense periods
with sometimes pretty long delays in between. Can't help that, it's the way
I'm wired. When I am in working mood I often jump from on task to another
and here's yet another reason I like to have most of the work-in-progress in
one repo (and thus depend on them to commute to avoid having to rebase
them).

Will comment on the two questions below in the tracker.

Cheers & thanks for the review
Ben