[darcs-devel] [patch1379] removed Darcs.Patch.Prim.V3 from unit tests

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Tue Jun 23 16:32:41 UTC 2015

> I think if the V3 code itself needs any maintenance we should also
> consider removing that from darcs for the time being, as it's not being
> actively worked on.

Who wrote this code anyway and for what reason? Is it based on the Camp
patch theory?

Unless it becomes a significant maintenance burden I think the code should
be kept in Darcs. It's not as if we had anything to replace it and if one
day someone starts to work on this again they can use the existing code as a
starting point.

BTW I have been thinking a lot about patch theory during the last few
months. I have even written up some math, using semigroup theory to simplify
and streamline your permutivity proof and perhaps weaken the (IMO) rather
strong assumption you named "consistency of failure". However, I got stuck
when I could not prove a certain property(*) which I appears to be closely
related to "consistency of failure". So there is really no big win here,
besides possibly gaining a bit more insight into the structure of the
problem.

Cheers
Ben

(*) In a few words: If P is the set of all patches and n>=2, we look at the
inverse semigroup of partial functions on P^n generated by commuting
adjacent patches in an n-element patch sequence. The property I need is that
if y and x.z are idempotents (=partial identities on P^n), then x.y.z is
idempotent, too. (Note that the "." operator is composition of _partial_
functions, here.) I haven't proved it formally (yet) but I am fairly certain
this property is equivalent to saying that the inverse semigroup in question
is E-unitary.
--
"Make it so they have to reboot after every typo." ― Scott Adams